Daal/Lentils, Gujarati Cooking, Indian Breads, Recipe Requests

Almost Gujarati Puran Puri

puran puri

It’s a bit like a chapatti. It’s a bit like a stuffed paratha. But it’s also in a league of its own… because it’s sweet! This intriguing recipe was requested by a mysterious ‘Anonymous’ person in the ‘Ask Sanjana’ post where you are all welcome to request particular dishes or certain ingredients to be used in recipes. So ‘Anonymous’, this puran puri recipe is for you!

Puran puri is a very traditional sweet chapatti prepared in Gujarat as well as Maharashtra and South India. Although, each recipe varies according to the region in which it prepared for example; the type of daal chosen, whether sugar or jaggery is used and the choice of spices. I believe the difference in recipes is indeed subject to regional differences, yet it also varies according to personal differences. I prepared mine in the Midlands of England so it’s totally permissible that I made my puran puri recipe up using what I thought would taste good *wink wink*. Having ever eaten only Gujarati puran puri, I went by the model I am familiar with and prepared it on a tawa (lodhi), almost roasting the spicy-sweet, rich filling encased in soft, toasted coconut spiked dough . Coconut you say? Since when do Gujarati’s put coconut in their puran puri?

Since I made it last night!

I am aware that in South India the recipe includes coconut in the daal stuffing but because I know that anything with toasted coconut (e.g. ice cream) tastes wonderful I suppose I was desperate to taste toasted coconut in the delicate dough casing. And you know what…?

It tastes fabulous.

Coconut Spiked Gujarati Puran Puri
(Makes 12-14 puris)

For the stuffing

1 cup toor (tuver- dried split pigeon peas) daal used in the Gujarati Daal Dhokri recipe
1 cup channa daal (dried split chickpeas)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cardamom
¼ cup flaked almonds and pistachios (not traditional but I think it adds something wonderful to the recipe)
Pinch of saffron
Pinch of mace
1 tsp ghee

flaked almonds and pistachios

The non-traditional flaked almonds and pistachios… a successful impulse addition

For the dough

3 ½ to 4 cups chapatti flour, plus extra for rolling
¼ cup coconut powder (again not traditional Gujarati)
½ cup sunflower oil
1 ½ cups boiling water to bind to a smooth, soft dough

Extra ghee or unsalted butter for spreading on the puran puri later

1. Boil the two daals separately until tender but not so that they loose their shape. If you don’t have a pressure cooker to do this faster then add a pinch of baking powder when boiling the daals. Drain and set aside.

2. Heat 1 tsp of ghee in a wide non-stick pan and add the cooked daals and sugar. The mixture will become a little loose once you add the sugar but don’t worry as this is normal. The mixture will thicken as you cook it.

3. Cook this mixture on a medium flame until it becomes dry then add the cinnamon, cardamom, saffron, nuts and mace. Stir and set aside to cool.

4. Once the mixture has cooled, roll it into ping-pong sized (or a little larger) balls and set aside while you prepare the dough.

puran puri 2

5. Mix the flour and coconut powder in a large bowl and make a well in the middle. Add the oil and water and mix with a spoon until you are able to handle it without burning yourself. Once it has cooled, bind it into a dough and roll it into balls (bigger than the filling balls but smaller than a tennis ball).

6. Use the same step-by step rolling procedure as I used in THIS Aloo Paneer Paratha recipe to roll your puran puri (making them smaller if your wish).

7. Cook them on a tawa or a dry non-stick frying pan (if you do not have a tawa) until toasted and aromatic.

puran puri 3

Too hot to handle. Heh.

8. Spread with plenty of ghee and enjoy!

I served mine with plain kadhi like this one without the peas and paneer. I made the kadhi thicker by adding less water and spicier by adding an extra chilli. The sweet, aromatic puri compliments the hot, thick, sour kadhi so beautifully…

It’s a fact- Hot, Sweet and Sour are like our families and friends; we may be total opposites when it comes to our personalities, we may think that we can never work together… but in the end, we realise that we’re made for one another.

puran puri 5

Comments

comments

Sanju have had puran puris(tradidional) Gujarati style but never incorporating nuts and coconut, must ask your motima to make them. Brilliant presentation please make for me and post.

saint Bapu

2. Tasty Trix says

I recently tried my hand at savory chapatis for the first time and so I think I can tackle this! Sounds so delicious!!

As you said, we make something similar to this and it is called "Poli"… but this version looks utterly delicious and healthy with goodness of dal and sweetness of coconut and sugar! Mmmmm…. Now this is the dessert for my already-planned Gujarathi Thali lunch! :)

4. Siddhi Shirsat says

hi sanajana…your puranpolis luk realy yummy…nice presentation…ur idea of adding coconut in it vl make it more tasty

Saint Bapu- So glad you liked the puran puri's. I was itching to make them all week but I had so much uni work on I had to get it done first. They were a really nice treat at the end of the week though! Please let me know how they go if motabaa makes them :)

EC- Thanks so much! Really appreciate your lovely comments!

Tasty Trix- They really are simple to make :) Hope you enjoy them!

Cool Lassi(e)- Haha, I'm so glad you are… because that makes two of us!

Rohini- I'm so desperate to see the Gujarati thali you make! Please take pics so I can see! It sounds wonderful!!!

Ash- Thanks so much :)

Siddhi- So nice of you to say that :) The coconut in the dough was a little bit of curiosity in me wondering if it would taste like toasted coconut ice cream :)

6. experimentalculinarypursuits says

Yum! Love the addition of coconut and your comment that all the different "tastes" can coexist happily together :)

7. Nandini says

Adding coconut in the do'h is a new variation! Stuffing with the nuts gives off a munch-y & crunch-y taste! Creative puran puri; now you're on track! ;)

8. sangeeta says

Hi Sanjana..
    first time here and what a lovely treat it is..
    i love ouran poris made with chana dal and jaggery with ghee but this version is completely different…using toor dal and all the nuts n coconut ( though i sometimes use coconut in the stuffing)….you have a lovely site..good work.

9. Malar Gandhi says

I love puran poli, this gujarati style is simply awesome…very good:) Lovely snaps, esp' the sliced nuts' eyecatching. Cant wait to try this:)

10. Roseiro.Pedro says

that sounds really good, is it like a sweet naan?
    it looks like.
    :) I love those kind of bread.

Thanks for all your kind words everyone! Roseiro- they are a little different to naan because the bread is unleavened- so they won't puff up or be as soft/bready as naan but they are equally as delicious! Although it is a similar concept to Peshwari naan with the whole 'sweet bread' idea. :)

12. SE(Denufood) says

hey..loved your version of almost gujrati puri..i guess its almost similar to puran poli..

13. Sarah Naveen says

Hey dea..
    Thanx a lot for stopping by Vazhayila..
    You too have a cute space here.
    I have heard about puran puri..but yet to try it..Sounds gr8 and looks really yummy…

14. Anncoo says

In Singapore, Indian stores selling dough like yours, called roti prata and it is usually dip in curry sauce.

15. A 2 Z Vegetarian Cuisine says

Lovely Puran Poli. Yes for the South Indian Puran Poli coconut is added to the puran alone, but never tried adding to the dough. Why not that indeed is a wonderful idea. Love the way you write and your cup capes look delicious too.

16. Vegetable Matter says

Looks beautiful. Do you get Saveur magazine over there? This month's issue has a big article on Gujarati food, and deems it among the best in the world. Your blog makes me concur with that assessment!

17. Sh... says

Adding nuts is a great try. In south india we make the dough using maida and as u said we add coconut too. I usually don't add coconut to this poli..:). Wonderful pic of the nuts. Did you use the chilli chopper to grind the nuts? I envy you..:) Please collect an award from my blog

Alright, you must be close enough to drive these over? If you set off now, I could have 'em for breakfast!

I love the linked recipe for aloo paneer paratha too. We usually buy our paratha frozen (is that horrendous?), but I do make roti from scratch. I love the smell of the atta when you make the dough. Much wheatier than regular flour, don't you think?

Loving the sweet stuff on here Sanjana!

19. My Experiments & Food says

Hi Sanjana, Its my first visit here and the space looks delicious.
    Have stayed in Gujarat for 3 years, I quite like the Gujju cuisine. Incidentally, even though I have moved out of Gujarat, I still have Gujarati neighbours and they keep pampering me once in a while with their amazing snacks and other preparations.
    Looking forward to trying the recipes you have shared.

20. My Experiments & Food says

Hi Sanjana, Its my first visit here and the space looks delicious.
    Looking forward to trying the recipes you have shared.

21. Kitchen Flavours says

Wow….love that luscious stuffing….puran poli's look extremely yummylicious…..

22. Chow and Chatter says

yum my friend makes something like this, love your site have been here a few time, will also follow you live in my homeland as well ! Rebecca

23. Dolly says

Love ur presentation. Ur Puran Puris(Polis) look irresistible. I have tried the Maharastrian version which does not include nuts and coconut.Nutty abt nuts so will try this version. Also ur Nuts picture is mind blowing.

24. Oraphan says

Oh, that looks and sounds so delicious! I've never heard about it before but I would love to give it a try, thanks for the recipe:)

25. Fathima says

This is so tempting… u have a nice space here and a lot of gujarati recipes… I love Gujrati food… following u…