Eggless Baking

Pandan Thumbprint Biscuits

pandan thumbprint biscuits 2

Okay. I couldn’t resist posting. I love blogging too much now.

I’m a d d i c t e d.

I found this recipe on a website I adore and visit often; Pham Fatale. I’m sure many of you will have visited Jackie’s blog over and over just to gawk at her creative recipes and beautiful photography. This is one recipe that caught my eye months ago and I’ve been pining to try it ever since! I had to adapt the recipe slightly because her recipe uses eggs. She does suggest leaving the eggs out however she says that the cookie does crumble easily this way. Well, let me tell you that I wasn’t satisfied with lettin’ the cookie crumble so I adapted the recipe in order to stop this from happening. It was a wholly successful mission… Almost. I wouldn’t describe my recipe as a cookie recipe but more of a biscuit. A damn delicious biscuit, may I say. It was buttery, crunchy and fragrant with all of that beautiful pandan flavour. Heavenly! And oh so cute with that little chocolate button in the middle. I suggest a couple of these with a tall glass of my spiced milk. Yeah that’s right; it’s a whole new take on classic milk and cookies (or biscuits in this case!)

I cannot say how Jackie’s recipe tastes as I haven’t followed it to the letter. Although I consider my version a simplified, eggless take on her gorgeous cookie recipe! I have substituted the melted chocolate with Cadbury’s (soon to be Kraft! Shock. Horror!) Dairy Milk Buttons (nomnomnom I will eat the whole bag in 56 seconds). If you can’t find these then just put a couple of chocolate chips in the little ‘thumbprint’ when the biscuits are still hot. They will melt and come together in the same way. Enjoy! Sorry I couldn’t have provided a more detailed post- I have lots of reading to do but just couldn’t resist sharing this recipe with you! I’ll be back soon to share with you a Lamington recipe for Mr P’s competition over at Delicious Delicious Delicious. Do check the wonderful competition out!

Ingredients (makes 24 biscuits)

1 ¼ cups plain flour, sifted
1 tbsp egg replacer (such as Allergycare)
¼ cup icing sugar + 4 extra tbsp’s icing sugar
1/8 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 tbsp water
6 tbsp butter at room temperature
24 Chocolate Buttons (plus more for munching)
1 tsp pandan extract

1. Combine the flour, egg replacer, ¼ cup icing sugar, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

2. Cream together the butter, 4 tbsp’s icing sugar and pandan extract. Add the butter mixture to the flour mixture and combine quickly with cold hands. If you need to add 1 tbsp water to bring the dough together then do so.

3. Wrap the Hulk lookin’ dough in cling film (plastic wrap) and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.

4. Cram as many chocolate buttons into your mouth as you possibly can.

5. Grease and line baking trays (I used two) then roll your dough into 1 inch-sized balls and flatten them slightly.

pandan thumbprint biscuits 3

6. Arrange the dough balls on your tray evenly spaced (they will spread as they cook).

7. Bake at 160 degrees C (gas mark 4) for 8-10 minutes then remove from the oven. Make ‘thumbrints’ in the centre of the half-cooked biscuits with a spoon (not your actual thumb!) I used a rounded mini measuring spoon. Return them to the oven and bake for a further 8 minutes.

8. Remove the biscuits from the oven and push in a little chocolate button or a couple of chocolate chips into the ‘thumbprint’. Allow to cool thoroughly before taking them off the baking sheet.

9. Enjoy with a glass of spiced milk!

Back to the books I go… But not without another biscuit! *Munch Munch*

pandan thumbprint biscuits

Update: Check out The Little Teochew’s version of Pandan Biscuits here!

image_pdfimage_print

Comments

comments

Mr. P- Hulk indeed. When I've finished eating them all I'll probably look like the Hulk- Just not as ripped! :p

Good grief! GOOD GRIEF! Those look plain amazing, dearie! In my fave flavour too. Oh my, how can I not try them out? You've got my full attention now! So glad you decided to do a post. What's blog world w/o you? ;)

Ju

3. TravelingBaker says

These look impossibly good. Pandan cake, I've had, but Pandan cookies! Yes!

4. Stacy says

Haha, step 4 made me laugh out loud! Thanks for taking a break to share a yummy treat with us!

5. Nandini says

Heard about Pandan cake but Pandan cookies …..Wow…….Gorgeous cookie….love the color also.

6. Priya says

Wow beautiful cookies..yummmmm!!!never had anything with pandan flavoured, should try soon..

Ju- You always know how to make me smile :) Thanks for your sweet words- I really appreciate them!

TravelingBaker- Thank you :) Jackie has some wonderfully creative recipes which always inspire me!

Stacy- Lol, I'm glad :) Hey, I was just giving you a step by step of how I did it and my step four consisted of scoffing Buttons hehe ;)

ruchikacooks- Thanks for stopping by :) I'm glad you like them!

Nandini- Aww thanks! I'm yet to try and bake a pandan cake- perhaps that's my next mission. The pandan gives them a gorgeous colour :)

Pavithra- Thank you for your lovely comment :)

Tina- Thanks for your sweet words, Tina :)

Priya- I urge you to try it- It's such a beautiful fragrance!

Chitra- Thanks for visiting :) The colour is immense, right? :)

8. The Princess says

Wow, the biscuits good very scrumptious. I love the way you have presented them!!

9. 5 Star Foodie says

These look so super delicious and I love the vibrant colors! Excellent!

10. Yasmeen says

Scrumptious biscuits.Green attracts me more than any color especially with food.Pandan gives lovely serene green color to foods.I've still to find them in stores here.

11. experimentalculinarypursuits says

Yum! Will you send some over? :D

I love this and I agree…blogging is quite addicting!

12. Beautiful Beautiful color and cookies!Superb click!!What is Pandan extract?And can we substitute egg for Allergycare?

13. cmiranda says

Thanks for sharing.The color is absolutely beautiful.I was in a Filipino market the other day and saw Pandan leaf extract.Will keep this in mind when I make these in the future.

14. Prathibha says

First time here..u hv an amazing blog dear.nice array of dishes…Loved the color of those cookies…looks gr8

15. Dolly says

Sanjana, What a Presentation. THey look perfect and I'm just admiring the color. While you go Munch Munch on these yummy biscuits..we'll keep drooling over these..unless ur sending some to us…lol

16. Sushma Mallya says

wow such a lovely colour and looks beautiful…and u have presented it so well…i really liked it a lot,wish i could taste some…and what is pandan? is it mint

Looks real inviting!! I was actually thinking of using my thumbs to make the impression! Thank god, you told me n saved me from a thumb-burn ;)
    Btw, what is Pandan?

Thank you SO much for all of the feedback everyone! :) You guys are amazing and I adore reading your comments! A few people asked what Pandan extract is… It is simply the extraced pulp from the Pandan plant (big, green and leafy) with an incredible fragrance. Perhaps a more perfumed version of vanilla. I think it smells like a gorgeous cross between aromatic vanilla and steaming rice. Really beautiful stuff, usually used in South East Asian cooking (both sweet and savoury). For more info visit my good pal, Wikipedia :)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandanus_amaryllifolius

Ciao xx

19. zurin says

Gorgeous! I just saw these on JU's blog! they are beautiful and that fact they have no eggs in them makes them even more tempting…I can ea t as much as I want!! gorgeous colour and very tasty m sure. its a must try for me and I LOVE ur photography!!

20. Matbakhun says

Ok now i have fall in love for real i can't resist … i want to try this . It looks so delicious.

21. Jayasri Ravi says

Hi sanjana after a long time, I am visiting your blog, I have seen that you have used pandan extract in some of your recipes, searched for it everywhere as I have seen some recipes of yours which I wanted to try, can you tell me where I can get it in UK

Hi Jayasri. I had the same problem for quite some time. The easiest way to track it down is to dig out the Yellow Pages and find your nearest Oriental Supermarket, call them up and ask if they stock it or if they could order some in for you to pick up. Hope this helps!