Eggless Baking, Festivals

Say Happy Valentines Day with Devils, Angels and Plenty of Calories!

valentines logo

So come on tell me, how many Valentines cards are you expecting this year? One? Two? Two dozen?

Strolling through a busy high street with a numbing wind pinching my fingertips, I ramble past a quaint little chocolate shop. I am absorbed. I shuffle into the shop wide-eyed in merriment at the prospect of sampling the array of delightful delicacies. Shelves are chock-full of heart shaped chocolates packaged in heart shaped boxes that are tinted with deep shades of crimson and baby pink. Each box is tightly wrapped with the finest silk and organza ribbons, as if they are concealing the precious pearls of an oyster found in a cavernous, dark sea. I long to reach out and pick up one of everything, go home and eat until I cannot move. Good job the costly price tags force me to march straight out of that wicked chocolate shop which had fallen from grace.

I left those heart shaped chocolates in heart shaped boxes in the shop that reminds me so much of the chocolate shop featured in Chocolat; a novel and film I hold close to my very own heart. At home I wonder how to re-create the joy I felt when walking into that sinful chocolate shop…

In the end I realised there was only one way to do it. I was thinking eggless cake.

So what are you going to be this year?

Valentines cardamom cheesecake

Valentines lemon white choc cake

Devilish or Angelic?

‘100% Naughty’ Eggless Cardamom and Chocolate Cheesecake
(Adapted from Kurma Dasa’s ‘Baked Cheesecake’ in Great Vegetarian Dishes)

cardamom cheesecake 5

Ingredients for the base:

1/4 cup butter at room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1 ½ tsps vanilla extract
1 cup plain flour
1 tsp baking powder

Ingredients for the filling:

500g ricotta cheese
500g cream cheese, at room temperature (I used Philadelphia- and also nearly picked up the one with Garlic & Herbs. I’m sure you guys won’t make that mistake)
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 ½ cups sugar
1 tbsp cornflour
1 1/3 cups double cream
1 ½ tsps vanilla extract
1/3 cup cocoa powder, sifted
½ tsp cardamom, ground into powder

Method for the base:

1. Sift together the flour and baking powder. Cream together the sugar and butter and add the vanilla extract.

2. Combine the flour mixture with the butter mixture quickly with cold hands or a fork.

3. Press the mixture into a greased 10 inch springform tin.

cardamom cheesecake 3

Method for the filling:

1. Beat together all of the ingredients excluding the cocoa powder and ground cardamom until it has thickened. Kurma suggests not to overmix this.
2. Place half of the mixture into a separate bowl and add the cocoa powder and cardamom powder. Combine thoroughly.

3. Place the white layer of filling over the uncooked base and finally the chocolate filling over the white layer.

4. Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 1 ¼ hours until set (I left mine for 1 hour because my fan oven cooks things a little quicker).

5. Allow to cool and refrigerate for day. You will just have to resist the temptation of diving right in!

cardamom cheesecake 2

OR

‘100% Nice’ Eggless Lemon and White Chocolate Cake

lemon white choc cake 2

Ingredients for the sponge:

200g plain flour
100g skimmed milk powder
160g icing sugar (confectioner’s sugar)
1 tbsp vanilla extract (or the seeds from 1 fresh vanilla pod)
100g butter, softened
2 tsp’s baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ cup plain natural yogurt
½ cup water
½ cup milk
Zest from 4 unwaxed lemons
4 tbsp fresh lemon juice

Method for the sponge:

1. Sift together the plain flour, skimmed milk powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Set aside.

2. In a separate bowl cream together the icing sugar, vanilla and butter.

3. Gently mix in half of the sifted flour mixture.

4. Add the milk and water and mix until there are not any lumps (but don’t overwork it).

5. Add the yogurt and the remaining sifted flour mixture and lemon juice and zest then fold these in using a metal spoon. Take care not to beat it too much.

6. Grease and line three 6X1inch cake tins and divide the mixture equally between them.

7. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 20-25 minutes.

8. When cooked, remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.

For the White Chocolate Ganache/Buttercream:

340g good quality white chocolate broken into small pieces
1 ½ cups double cream
125g butter, softened

Method for the Ganache/Buttercream:

Place the chocolate and cream in a bowl over a pan of boiled water (does this remind you a little bit of Food Tech lessons at school?) Stir until the chocolate has melted into the cream. Remove from the heat and allow to cool in the fridge until very cold. This could take an hour to several hours as the white chocolate has no cocoa solids, unlike milk and dark chocolate. Beat in the butter until the mixture has thickened.

To Assemble:

Sandwich the three layers together using the ganache/buttercream and cover the cake with what’s left (if you haven’t eaten it by itself already like I almost did!)

lemon white choc cake 3

But wait, of course there has to be a third option. For all of us who like to sit on the fence, enjoy the best of both worlds and choose to remain 50/50…

Just do what I did…

… And make BOTH* (yes, this entails the scoffing of both cheesecake and cake).

Good times.

However many Valentines you have this year, please take the time to feed them something sweet (‘sweeten them up’ so to speak!)

*KO Rasoi does not accept any responsibility for indigestion, erratic weight gain, ‘death by chocolate’ or ‘couch potato’ syndrome caused by rapid scoffing of delicious cakes.

image_pdfimage_print

Comments

comments

1. artipatel88 says

Chocolate says 'I Love You', and in this cheesecake, it is like a gift from heaven! The pictures look absolutely fantastic and I cannot wait to taste the cake!

P.S. Will you be my Valentine?! ;)

2. Priya says

Omg,, wat a fantastic, gorgeous and catchy cheesecake..am drooling over those tempting eggless lemon and white chocolate cake….Tempting clicks…

3. Cool Lassi(e) says

Hey, this is such a wonderful post and I have to say, hands down, its the devilishly-dark chocolate cheesecake that has captured my heart..so very moist and decadent that must be curl-your-toes good.
    To answer your question, even though its rhetoric, about the # of cards for V-day, I will answer anyway..I probably wont get any. After being married for 7 years my hubby does tend to take me for granted and special occasions like this are conveniently forgotten.Inspite of it, I think he is wonderful.

Arti- You're always my valentine! :) Guys, I have to say that Arti and I lovingly made the chocolate cheesecake together! :)

Priya- Thank you so much :)Have a great valentines day!

Cool Lassi(e)- I'm so glad you like the choccy cheesecake! I'm sure you're hubby feels the same way you feel about him! So sweet! Have a wonderful valentines day!

5. jayasri says

Sanju, Lovely cakes dear, Happy Valentines day, hope you had a lovely day, beautiful clicks too!!

6. 5 Star Foodie says

I love the two different kinds of cakes – they both look sinfully delicious :) Happy Valentine's day!

7. Vrinda says

Really a yummy valentine treat from u…nice creamy moist cakes,Happy V'day….

Hahahaha, what a cute post! The 2 cakes are gorgeous and lovely and so well done. You're amazing! I can't believe they were eggless! They both look so moist. I'll have both, thank you very much. Happy Valentine's Day to you, sweet Sanjana!

9. Jennifer@womanvfood says

Wow you have been very busy! These look great and I love the idea of cardamom in the cheesecake. I have a feeling you might just make it in the top 9 once again!

10. AshKuku says

WOW!!!! Lovely & very valentine!!!!! Yummy & delightful delicacies…… Just tempting…what more can one say, with all those mouthwatering goodies so far away from reach…… But as always lovely…..

Happy Valentines Day to you too!!!!!!

Ash….
    (http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

First of all…Are you my twin sister who got lost in some kumbh mela or something…LOL..JK!
    Its just that we end up thinking and making same dishes together :) I am making a cheesecake tomorrow for my husband for Valentine's day. Only difference is I am including eggs.

I will post mine once I surprise my darling husband at midnite tomorrow with the delicacy!

Secondly, I am fasting today (for Shivratri) and you are making me drool here with your awesomeee Cakes!! Loved both the cakes and wat a lovely presentation! You rock girl!!

Last but not the least…..Happy Valentine's Day :)

12. zurin says

Happy valentine to you Sanjana!!! those cakes are eggless???!!!!! they look sso good …ill have ot make them….i feel so not guilty already!! m bookmarking these Tq dear Sanjana!!

One of your finest presentations, specially the intro!! ( as usual of course).
    Dont see much of Valentine day movements in Milano, may be in the evening..
    Not having a kitchen handy is weighing heavily on me…Must get back soon , to hell with SOMEONE's warning that the lazy people have no place at home.
    Happy Valentine's day

14. Preeti Kashyap says

I love both the cakes…..who cares about calories when you see these sinful treats eh? Eggless too?, that perfect for my hubby! You have a great weekend girl!

15. Malar Gandhi says

Oh dude, you certainly don't need that store bought goodies for sure'…you got a gift' you have created such a pretty' professional looking cake' wow, amazing it luks. Enjoy the V day to the core:)

16. I agree with Ju, they DO look very moist, kudos on the delish eggless cakes. And I'm with you, my dear – I am naughty AND nice!

Oh my gosh! TWO cakes in one post? You are my kind of blogger.

I'd go for the cardamom one I think, but it's difficult because lemon is my favourite flavour for cakes. This warrants some serious consideration…

18. The Princess says

Sanjana

Love both your recipes. Cakes is one item I haven't cooked in a long time. I will attempt them one of these days. You make them sound easy but I am not so sure…

I'll have to make do with shrikand tomorrow.

Happy Valentines Day

Mina

19. ruchikacooks says

Happy V's day Sanjana. The cakes look so good and moist. A perfect way to celebrate.

happy valentine day. Loving photos and of course the cakes must have tasted gr8.

saint bapu

21. Dolly says

OMG Sanjana, What a temptation.!!!.Its too hard to choose and I guess I'm in a mood to be a little angelic and a little devilish..Its Valentine's Day and I guess I could eat a slice of both !!!. Well written post as always with awesome Clicks. Thoroughly enjoyed the virtual treats. HAppy Valentine's Day Sanju..

22. Cooking Foodie says

Cocoa is my witness, I have never picked anything over it… but today I have to go with the lemon and white chocolate cake :) Gorgeous picture!
    Happy valentines day to you too…

Wow… Simply aweeeesome ones gal… Wish I cud be your neighbour ;)
    Btw, I don't see much of you nowadays in my blog! Busy? Take care n do drop in whenever time permits!
    And oh, belated V-day wishes! :)

24. cmiranda says

The cardamon eggless cheescake looks absoultely stunning and so delicious.What a great combination of flavors.

25. Gulmohar says

OMG…what else I could say other than gorgeous :-)
    Hope you had a wonderful V day !

26. Subhashini says

Sanjana
    I love eggless baking and always ready to learn something.Today I made eggless marble cake and you gave me recipe of another recipe of eggless.
    Will try soon.
    Love
    Subhashini

27. K Hamilton says

Yum! What delicious looking cakes! Your pictures are stunning, as well. I'm glad I stumbled across your blog!

Kristi

28. Pingback: Fall in love with a Valentine’s Day celebration ‘choc’ full of Indian spice | The Spice Scribe