Indian Sweets (Mistan), Microwave Meals

Get your Microwave Mojo On!

pandan-burfi

coconut pandan burfi 1

I have an ambivalent relationship with burfi. This milk-based Indian sweet pushes my ‘crave’ button at the strangest times… for which I resent it completely. Then when I take a bite of this dense ‘any-flavour-tastes-good’ fudge, I am a chubby six year old again. A bit like the Indian, female version of Augustus Gloop. I love to visit Indian sweet shops, with their vast arrays of burfi in every colour and flavour you can imagine. Well, almost. So you can keep your Chocolate Factory, Mr Wonka.

In my twenty-one years I’ve munched my way through a fair load of burfi and not once have I come across pandan burfi. It’s such an obviously delicious combination that I can’t believe nobody has made it yet. Have they? Enlighten me. Indian fudge and the South East Asian equivalent of vanilla combined in a mega fudge? Win.

I feel a revolution coming on.

So what if I go on to tell you it can all be done in a microwave? Would you laugh in my face and push me (Augustus) into that chocolate river? How embarrassing would it be? Getting stuck up that pipe? Good job I’m telling the truth, isn’t it?

coconut pandan burfi 2

I bet Willy Wonka never had himself any edible gold dust. Nope. He just had the Everlasting Gobstopper. Overrated if you ask me.

You can make this in 10 minutes flat (plus chilling time). And everybody knows that chilling time = chilling out time so kick back, relax and enjoy this Pandan, Coconut and Chocolate Burfi at the push of a button (or two).

Pandan, Coconut and Chocolate Burfi (yields 25 pieces)

Ingredients for the pandan layer

If you’re not sure what pandan is then you can read up on it here.

3 cups whole milk powder
1 cup condensed milk
1 ½ tsp pandan extract

Ingredients for the coconut layer

1 ½ cups whole milk powder
½ cup condensed milk
¼ cup coconut (dessicated or fresh)
½ tsp cardamom powder
1 small pinch saffron

Ingredients for the chocolate layer

1 cup milk chocolate, chopped into small pieces
¼ cup butter

Oil to grease the tray

1. For the pandan layer combine the pandan extract with the condensed milk. In a microwave-proof mix the green condensed milk with the milk powder and microwave on high power for one minute at a time for four minutes. Remove from the microwave in between these one minute intervals and stir.

2. Grease a 6X8 metal tray or thali with plenty of any flavourless oil (I used groundnut).

3. Press the pandan layer into the metal tray with the back of a spoon, making sure it’s even all over. Set aside and allow to cool.

4. For the coconut layer combine the milk powder, condensed milk and coconut in a microwave-proof dish. Repeat the microwave process as in step one, but for three minutes this time. Remember to stir at one minute intervals so it doesn’t burn. Add the cardamom and saffron and combine quickly.

5. Place the coconut mixture on top of the pandan layer and press in tightly and evenly. Set aside and allow to cool.

6. Place the chocolate in a microwave-proof bowl and microwave on high for 30 second bursts until it has melted. Remove from the microwave and add the butter. Fold the mixture with a spoon until silky. Don’t overwork the chocolate.

7. Pour the chocolate over the cooled coconut layer and allow to set at room temperature. When the burfi has set, cut it into pieces with a sharp knife.

I’m sending this recipe to Srivalli’s Microwave Cooking event, hosted by Asankhana.

coconut pandan burfi 3

I think we may have a rat in the KO kitchen. I call her… uhh… me.

Remember to vote for your favourite Wear your Food entry in the right-hand sidebar poll!

Comments

comments

1. Preeti Kashyap says

yummmy pic. Same pinch-even I have an ambivalent relationship with milk burfis. They taste heavenly and pure, but sometimes the smell can so put me off.

Great pics, as always!!! I am not a great fan of milk-based sweets, though.. In fact, I run away miles from them.. But your burfi-babies are just about to break my vrath!! Hehe… Cool write-up! :)

3. notyet100 says

wow thy look so yum,,.perfect for the event on at my blog will be glad if u send them over

4. simply.food says

These barfis looks devine and delicious.But what is pandan???Not sure of this ingredient.

5. Bigarade says

This is unfair,i now have a craving for barfi!
    & guess what :(
    theres no shops near me that sell it!!

I think i may nick your recipe

Dear girl, you did NOT just make these!!! OMG, DROOOL. You just hit my major crave button. The colours, the whole idea of PANDAN and chocolate and coconut … it's genius!!!

7. Jagruti says

Hey Sanj,
    Same pinch!even I made barfi 2 days ago, very very similar recipe! you just beat me in posting..count me in same here, my love for barfi..;-P yours looks so tempting and pics are great!

8. Vegetable Matter says

I love cooking with the microwave. I always make chocolate ganache that way — who needs a double boiler??? Great looking dessert!

I so never knew it was that easy to make. Am thinking of possible flavour combinations. And if there was ever a reason to buy milk pwder…

10. Stacy says

Wow, that looks amazing. How I love fudge! And your version is so easy!!!

What a lovely burfi!!! Love it! I made the milk and chocolate double layered in microwave!!
    You have gona a step ahead and made lovely 3 layers!! I can see ur love for Burfi.. :)
    Save some for me…will you?

12. Chitra says

Superb burfi..me too planning to make one.i wish mine shud come out well like urs :)

13. Cooking Foodie says

I have never made burfi at home but now I have to… microwave version is great… love the colors and the pictures!

14. cmiranda says

I've never heard of or had burfi but from your description these look absolutely delicious and the pictures look stunning.

So easy and it looks great and sounds yummy! Can't wait to try this unique treat. Good for you for stepping up and bringing this combo to fruition :).

16. I see many of you are/were wondering about Pandan extract, if still wondering: see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandanus_amaryllifolius

This extract can be bought in Asian stores.. I use the extract in syrop and cake, and the taste and smell are delicious! Those who haven’t got acquinted yet, should really give it a try.

Happy cooking and tasting!

17. angie says

I am one of many wondering about Pandan extract, I have never heard of it and was wondering if this can be omitted from the recipe?

18. Pingback: Review: Happy Birthday Sunita, a play by Harvey Virdi | feminist fitness

19. queeneth jumbo says

Hi.. I love sweets alot but most of the receipes are hard to find in Nigeria