Indian Breads, Vegan

Puffy, Fluffy Spinach and Green Chilli Puris

spinach-puri

spinach puri 2

Puris (plural) [also spelt ‘pooris’] are a kind of unleavened Indian flatbread which are hugely popular at weddings. They are typically kept plain or spiced with turmeric and chillies and always, always deep fried. They are beautifully soft, puffy and fluffy and can be eaten with curries, rice, soups, sweet yogurt (shrikhand) and even rolled and dipped in sweet chai for breakfast. You can eat them hot, warm or cold, although I prefer them balloon-like, straight from the hot wok (which I use to deep fry in).

spinach puri 4

Fluffy. My tormentor.

I’ve flavoured these puris with fresh leaf spinach and green chillies which I pureed with a little boiling water. The only problem is that now I can’t stop finding excuses to devour one every time I wander into the kitchen. Don’t call the psychiatrist just yet, though. First, make them and wait to see if the same thing happens to you. If it does, then you’re welcome. Donations are also welcome, as are love letters (to be sent directly via e-mail). Puris are stupidly simple to make so you have no excuses whatsoever not to make these. Don’t be disheartened if not all of them puff up as this is usually the case for many people. Damn those pesky circles of delight.

spinach puri 1
Spinach and Green Chilli Puris
(makes around 30 small puris)

3 cups fine white chapatti flour (you could use wholemeal but what’s the point when you’re going to massacre it in hot oil?)
1 cup fresh leaf spinach
2 fresh green chillies (or to taste)
¾ cup boiling water
2 ½ tbsp sunflower oil
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
Pinch of turmeric

Oil to deep fry

1. Puree the spinach, chillies and ¾ cup boiling water until smooth.

2. Place the flour, turmeric and salt in a large bowl and make a well in the centre.

3. Add 2 ½ tbsp oil and enough of the spinach mixture to bind into a firm, non sticky dough.

4. Heat the oil to deep fry the puris.

5. Open a window.

6. Follow my steps below.

how to make puri

Tips: When rolling your puri, don’t add any flour to stop it from sticking because when you fry them this flour will come off and turn your oil black. Instead, if your dough is sticking put a little oil on the board and turn the circle of dough ¼ of a degree each time you roll. This way you get a neat little circle, too.

spinach puri 3

This is just screaming ‘fill me with spicy chickpeas’.

Now go for a shower because no matter how good your puris taste, you still smell like you’ve been marinating in oil for days.

Comments

comments

Filed under: Indian Breads, Vegan

by

Food photographer, digital producer and dreamer of all things delicious. This blog on Indian and East African vegetarian food is my place of reflection and retreat.

1. Asha says

Looks beautiful, flaky and puffy. Adding Spinach is great too. I deep fry on the deck in electric deep fryer to avoid all the oily smell in the house and on you, unless it's raining outside!:)

• soni says

i am looking for deep fryer to fry puris, pls can you suggest me names of some deep fryer which is suitable for indian food frying

• Sanjana says

Hi Soni. I don’t use a deep fat fryer – I find it easier to use a wok filled with oil. Hope this helps!

2. Mina Joshi says

Your puris look absolutely delicious. Great idea to include spinach as well.

3. The Housewife says

It's been ages since I've had puris! These look so tasty… You've triggered off some dangerous cravings in me!

Wow, that is an excellent idea and I am surely preparing it sometime, bookmarking :)

Pooris look super delicious! Love the green chilli n spinach in it….yummy!

Thank you all for the comments :) Much appreciated.

P- Indeed, the boiling water will just wilt the spinach enough. Also, try adding a tiny tiny pinch of bicarb to the spinach/water/chilli mixture- This will keep your spinach super green.

7. AshKuku says

I cannot express how I feel….. I have just savored this prep visually….. It is beyond expression….. Yum!!!! And the captures are awesome with delivering the taste visually…. U always rock!!!! Keep it up..Girl!!!! Hugs )))

Ash….
    (http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

8. rekhas kitchen says

simply superb feeling hungry now again yummmm tempting pic.

9. Sarah Naveen says

wonderful clicks…puri looks awesome…perfect and yummy

10. Mahashakti says

The brilliant photographs of these beauties is overwhelming; taste and smell create a soul stirring symphony for the other senses to admire. Even the type-font is in cahoots with the devilishly tantalizing dough ball, crying, "fry me!puff me! try me!"

11. Cool Lassi(e) says

Hey dear,
    I am going to try this for sure. It looks so fabulous!

Oh my goodness … slurp … heavens … these are dangerous indeed! How does one ever stop eating them??? Love, love, LOVE.

13. Torviewtoronto says

Hi first time here you have lovely recipes and beautiful pictures

14. Monali says

Hi Sanjana! Checked your blog after a couple of weeks and came across the delish pics of the Spinach Puris. Its a nasty rainy day here today and it seemed liked the right day for deep-fried goodness so I made some. They came out a bit greener than yours, but really good! I have more dough left than I could possible need now so I will save it for tomorrow to make parathas….a little bit healthier! Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Thanks everyone! :)

Monali- So glad you tried them! I know how you feel, I felt so bad about deep frying so paratha are probably a good idea if you have lots of dough left over! :) P.S. The greener the better! :)

I tried this out last night and loved them. Please check it out, I blogged about it. The only thing different was my whole poori was green and yours only had green tints and I am wondering as to why.

I think I did add little more because I didn't really measure that much and I had little over 1 cup of raw spinach. Thanks for your comments :)

18. foodblogandthedog says

I am going to make these and the urad daal for dinner tonight! Can't wait, can I use frozen spinach?

Foodblogandthedog- Love your blog name FYI!

Yes, you can certainly use frozen spinach. Once it's defrosted make sure you squeeze all the water out before adding it to the dough. Let me know how it goes!

20. shivani says

beautiful !! yes I would hate to break this poori. My mom use to blend the spinach in blender and then used it to knead the dough giving the poories a green color.