I used small Indian lemons from my local Indian grocers as they are the perfect size for this preserve, and they pack a huge punch. They’re tiny, yet lethal. Rather like myself.
10 small unwaxed Indian lemons
250ml lemon juice
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
2 tsp ground sea salt
¼ tsp turmeric powder
1. Gently scrub each lemon under warm water, rinse and dry.
2. Halve the lemons and put them in a sterilised glass jar.
3. In a small saucepan heat the lemon juice and add the sugar, salt and turmeric and heat until the salt and sugar have completely dissolved. Boil until slightly syrupy.
4. Pour the lemon juice mixture over the jar of lemons and allow this to cool before putting a lid on top.
5. When cool, put on the lid and place the jar in the fridge.
6. Leave the jar in the fridge for at least two weeks before consuming, shaking every day until the lemons become beautifully syrupy and are ready to eat.