BBQ, Desserts, Soup/Salads, Starters/Appetizers

Chilled Sunshine Berry Soup

Are you ready to be transported to a world of fresh, sweet flavours?

First, come with me on a strawberry picking adventure…

Watch out for the nettles

… And bugs!
And don’t pick the green ones. No, we’re not talking fingers up noses. Although, I wouldn’t advise that either
Shall we chill?

Chilled soups: They linger like loiterers, typed upon dog-eared menus in questionable restaurants.

Surely this cannot be true?

When I first saw a similar recipe in Kurma Dasa’s Great Vegetarian Dishes, I thought to myself, ‘how is a chilled soup any different to umm… Fruit juice?!’ I hear echoes of you asking me the same question.

So, this distinction is imperative to our exploration of chilled fruit soups- which, by the way, are refreshing and delicious. It’s not that I’m biased or anything. Our fruit soup is sweet, but not fruit juice sweet, smoothie sweet or even preserve sweet. That would be sacrilege. It is slightly sweet, made silky smooth with cornflour, and finished on a slightly savoury note with a pat of creamy salted butter whisked in for a quick gloss. Not a drop of juice in sight.

Still not convinced? Try it yourself and find out. Do it for me, poor Sanjana who went strawberry picking in the sweltering heat to provide you with a Chilled Sunshine Berry Soup to quench your parched tongues. I love guilt-tripping for all good reasons.

Mouth watering yet?

Also, while technically this isn’t a barbecued dish (why would it be?) it is the perfect starter or light dessert to any Summer BBQ. FYI, I love loopholes like I love guilt-tripping.

Chilled Sunshine Berry Soup
(serves 4-6)

1kg mixed berries (I used 500g strawberries, 250g pitted cherries and 250g blackberries)- reserve a handful of each kind of berry to serve
75g granulated sugar
2 tbsp cornflour
1 litre cold water
50g butter

1. Place the berries in a large pan, reserving a handful of each kind of berry to serve.

2. Add the sugar and cook on a medium heat, stirring constantly. Press the berries with the back of a wooden spoon to crush them slightly. It will take around 15-20 minutes for them to cook thoroughly.

3. Place a sieve over a large pan and strain the berry mixture through it, pressing through as much pulp as possible.

4. Mix the cornflour with the cold water and add it to the strained berry mixture.

5. Place back on the heat and whisk until slightly thickened. Whisk in 50g of butter until melted.

6. Allow to cool to room temperature and refrigerate until chilled and ready to serve.

7. Serve in a deep bowl, adding the reserved berries for some texture and that feeling of virtuousness when you eat fruit and truly enjoy it…

1. Sanyukta Gour(Bayes) says

very inviting n refreshing berry berry soup…

That is a lovely looking soup. Never had a soup made out of fruits.

Okay, everything – and I mean everything – you've been making lately is just out of this world! Droolworthy.

4. Jess-Sugar High says

this soup sounds wonderful! what a fantastic use of berries :)

5. Cristina - Teenie Cakes says

Oh! Gorgeous color to this soup…and it has to be healthful and good for you with all those berries and variety. Just lovely!

6. Premalatha Aravindhan says

Soup luks delicious…Beautifull pictures.

7. Jay says

Thatz a lovely innovative soup dear…Great try…! Needless to mention…clicks are beauuuuuuuuuuuuuuutiful…!

8. SAINT BAPU says

9. RV says

This is very refreshing and comforting soup for this summer. Lovely pics Sanjana.

10. Rachel says

This sounds really good. I love the photography; great composition and colors! Where did you get that awesome strawberry plate from? Love it!

11. Linn @ Swedish Home Cooking says

Berry soup feels soo. Eithies. And forgotten. What happened to this lovely little dessert?! Thanks for reintroducing it to us.

12. Jean at The Delightful Repast says

Ooohhh, Sanjana, that DOES look like a bowl of sunshine! And your photos are spectacular! I'll be back for more.

13. Trish says

Sounds delicious. I never thought about making chilled berry soup. I can't wait to try. Thanks!

Hey all! Thanks for all of the great comments- You all know how much I love reading them!

Rachel- I stumbled upon that plate in a homeware/kitchenware outlet store called Home Sense. They sell very pretty little kitchen things. Hope that helps!

15. Magdalena says

It is very nice that you present this soup. I think that fruits soups are a bit forgotten. I remember those soups from my childhood – actually, my mom used to cook the raspberry soup…although, other fruits soups had been occasionally served, too.

Sanjana I must say these pictures have me drooling.I have never come across such a soup, Any ideas as to what would be a nice accompniment to this soup?

Hi Anonymous- Thank you! If you're serving the soup as a dessert then a scoop of vanilla ice cream would be divine and perfect for the hot weather. If you're serving it as a starter then perhaps a swirl of creme fraiche and a hot, buttered croissant?

18. says

Chilled soup looks wonderful.Beautiful clicks.Thanks for dropping by simplyfood.Your visit and comments are very much appreciated.Its nice to know another blogger from the Uk too.You have an nice space to.

19. Lazaro Cooks! says

Lovely soup. Perfect for the hot summer days. Great photography as well. Bravo!

Be well

I love how simple and seasonal this is, Sanjana! Just the relief I need from this heat.

21. denise @ quickies on the dinner table says

I love the idea of chilled fruit soups, especially in the heat of summer. Lovely photography!

Wow…love the idea of this Berrie Dessert! This looks Berry-licious :)!
    Fresh hand picked Berries are always the best! I have done that already twice this summer and made Jams!
    Your pics are always attractive! Any tips on foodography? :)

Thanks all :)

Vaishali- Ahh, I'm still working on the photography part :$ They're still not up to scratch. I think that if I was to give anyone advice then I'd say to always make sure there is plently of natural light coming through into the room. I started out blogging being completely clueless and taking my pictures at night when there was only artifical light. This was a big mistake. Soon I learned that natural light is the key to natural looking settings and dishes. Try to put your table next to a window :) Also, I never use a flash. I find that it makes food look a little artifical. If you're shooting in a low light environment then boost your ISO up and your F Stops lower.

Personally I like close-ups of food; that's what really makes me drool. The more detail the better. Although, this really depends on your preferences as larger scenes are also really pretty when set up in the right way. I've built up a little collection of patterned tea towels, napkins and dishes to add to my repotoire- but be really careful… This kitchenware collecting can lead to an obsession! :)

Hope that helps, like I said, I'm by no means a professional photographer… Just learning as I go along.

Hey Sanjana

Thanks so much for your gr8 suggestions! I too started taking my pictures in natural light some time ago and they come out much better. I never use flash as well. I mostly take pics using Macro.

Recently my Jam Filled Cookies got selected in Foodbuzz Top 9. And I guess I was able to get such a gr8 pics of those cookies because of the inspiration I get from your pics! Your pics of even a simple moong daal makes everyone drool here!
    You are doing a fantastic job!!

Aww, Vaishali that's really lovely of you to say so. I saw your biscuits on the FoodBuzz Top 9 and they looked great! Perfect for parties. Brilliant picture, too. I hope you carry on creating and enjoying taking your pictures! I know I'll enjoy seeing them! :)

26. kankana says

This is so refreshing and red .. my fav color :) I really should go for berry picking sometime…. never been to one !