Desserts, Indian Sweets (Mistan)

Orange and Cardamom Scented Seeroh

seeroh

I’m snowed in. There’s a party to get to and I’m snowed in. Thankfully the International Incident Colours Party hosted by Penny a.k.a Jeroxie is a kind of party immune to catastrophic weather.

The final month of 2010 should be filled with bright colours and big smiles – my recipe for Orange and Cardamom Scented Seeroh (pronounced how it’s spelt) guarantees to make that happen. It’s not too sweet, not too rich and is incredibly addictive. That’s not to say you can chuck a whole load of them in your mouth one after another.

Just in case you do decide you want to finish off the whole lot in one go, I thoughtfully substituted a significant amount of sugar in this recipe with friendly agave nectar. You can thank me later.

Seeroh is essentially sweetened semolina (don’t gag, it’s nothing like ‘school dinner’ semolina). It can be flavoured anything you like – I try to stick to a couple of complimentary flavours that won’t clash or overpower one another like orange and cardamom. You could also try lemon and saffron, rose and pistachio, or cinnamon and chocolate chip.

Note: It is with regret I believe one of the only times glace cherries are appropriate in cooking is during seeroh and burfi-making. If you disagree, please enlighten me.

Seeroh can be served loose, whilst warm or set in a tray and cut into cubes. It will set when cool anyway, so if you want to serve it loose at a later time you will need to reheat it and stir again. I prefer setting it straight away for the purpose of presentation but of course, this makes no difference to the taste.

You should always store seeroh in the fridge because it can spoil quickly at room temperature. This seeroh should keep well in the fridge for 2-4 days – whether it will last that long is another story.

These make gorgeous edible gifts (like my recipe for Eggless Christmas Cupcakes), especially when they’re wrapped up tightly in clear plastic bags and tied with festive ribbons. Pack the bite-sized cubes into a pretty box, present to loved ones and bask in the glory of doing a fine deed.

Orange and Cardamom Scented Seeroh

500ml hot milk
140ml hot water
150ml agave nectar
60g sugar
140g butter
260g coarse semolina
Zest of 1 medium orange
½ tsp cardamom powder
2 tbsp glace cherries, quartered

Slivered almonds and pistachios to decorate
Sunflower oil to grease the tray for setting (if setting)

1. Heat the butter in a large non-stick pan and add the semolina. Sauté on a low/medium heat for around 3 minutes or until golden and toasted.

2. Slowly add the hot milk and water, whisking all the time. The mixture should thicken as you whisk. Add the sugar and agave nectar.

3. Cook on a medium heat for around 8-10 minutes or until a buttery sheen becomes visible on the top and sides of the mixture. Keep stirring all the time.

4. Remove from the heat, add the orange zest, cardamom powder and glace cherries.

5. Grease a 6inchX8inch square tray with sunflower oil and pour in your seeroh mixture. Flatten the top, sprinkle with slivered nuts and allow to cool at room temperature. When cool, refrigerate for at least an hour, until you’re ready to cut into cubes. Store in the fridge.

Serve as it is or hot with a colossal scoop of good vanilla ice cream.

image_pdfimage_print

Comments

comments

1. Foodiva says

Sanjana, I've never had seeroh before but your version and the wonderful flavors certainly draw me in! Oh, and thanks for substituting the sugar with agave… my skinny jeans thanks you too! ;-)

2. leaf (the indolent cook) says

These look so pretty… I can just imagine how lovely they would be to eat.

Love the colors and bright flavors as usual, Sanjana. Wish I could come to your party and partake of the treats ;).

4. penny aka jeroxie says

This will make a great xmas presents. I prefer edible presents anyway. And I love the colours, the texture and the presentation.

Thanks for coming to the party. And merry Christmas!

5. msihua says

This actually looks very similar to the desserts I had in Egypt.. sugary sweetness… very pretty ;)

6. Cherrie Pie says

this sounds really interesting and will like to give it a go. thanks for sharing

7. Conor @ Hold the Beef says

The texture of this is whispering sweet nothings in my ear. In both ears, I think. Would love to try it!

8. Jagruti જાગૃતિ says

Early in the morning SIRO for breakfast…wow…maja avi gai;)

Wow! What a mind- blowing combination of orange and cardamom,what can I say, there is only one word that can describe this in all catagories is – FAN-TASTICO!

Weldone.

10. If this is a double comment please don't think I'm crazy – blogger just did something WEIRD. I was saying … I have made savory semolina cake, so I'm not gagging at all, my dear! This is lovely, and so glad you could make it to the party, even if it is only a virtual one. xoxo

wow, very very new recipe and looks absolutely stunning.

12. Evan @swEEts says

I have no idea what the flavor is like, but if its as good as the dish looks it has to be delicious! You chose some wonderful ingredients.. well done :)

Sanjana, this seeroh looks divine!!! Would love to get my spoon and dig into this…yummy!

14. Potato Chops and Boneless Chicken says

Can just taste the lovely combination of elaichi and orange…hmmmmm. Never had it like this back in India but I've been making sheera (a more porridge like version) with agave syrup and whole wheat semolina for some time now and love the results. It was a treat for tea when growing up in Bombay, India. I enjoy having it warm, especially with a cup of tea on a cold winter day.

15. The Housewife says

Thats a lovely lovely picture Sanjana! Makes me want to bust out the sooji and make some of these pretty treats…

16. Ooooh I absolutely love semolina. My family is Greek and we use it a lot in pastry fillings, it has such a great texture. Cardamom is one of my favorite spices too, I will definitely have to give this recipe a try soon, I'm sure my family will love it :)

17. bonnie says

Sanjana, this recipe looks sweet and lovely. I would love to try it and really like the ingredients. I know this will be very nice. Thanks for the lovely pix. Happy New Year!

18. Cooking Foodie says

Lovely presentation! Love sheeroh with or without cherries…

19. This dessert looks absolutely fantastic. I can only imagine what my kitchen will smell like as I prepare this. In fact why imagine. I’ll find out this weekend.

20. Pingback: An inimitable Indian Christmas, Part 4 – Nice little nibbles and rocking recipes | The Spice Scribe