International Cuisine, Starters/Appetizers, Vegetable Dishes

Two Potato, Chilli and Cumin Gratin

I don’t know about you but cold weather always makes me lazy. I crave simple, hearty dishes which leave me feeling satisfied and ready to cosy up on a welcoming sofa with a good cookbook.

This Two Potato, Chilli and Cumin Gratin is just the trick for such occasions. A combination of sliced potatoes and sweet potatoes, baked in an aromatic infusion of cream and earthy spices is about as comforting as you can get – all you need is a spoon and an appetite to fill.

You can serve this as a vegetarian main course for Christmas, a side for your Christmas dinner, or a substantial starter. This is just the kind of dish I want to make ahead of time, wrap up in foil and effortlessly pop into the oven after a long days work. Serve this gratin with a leafy green salad and it’s the most perfect, inexpensive winter meal.

I adore the crisp, golden edges which catch in the heat of the oven and add an abundance of flavour to the whole dish. All together now – hmm!

You could also try adding slices of other root vegetables like swede and celeriac for a spicy root vegetable gratin. Chilli, cumin and a pinch of garam masala compliment creamy potatoes beautifully and add that touch of India to a classic dish I love so much.

Two Potato, Chilli and Cumin Gratin
(Serves 4-6)

3 medium potatoes/500g, peeled and sliced thinly
3 medium sweet potatoes/500g, peeled and sliced thinly
600ml double cream
60g cheddar cheese
1 tsp cumin seed powder
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp chilli powder
1 clove garlic
1 tsp salt or to taste
¼ tsp ground black pepper
¼ tsp garam masala

1. Whisk together all of the ingredients except the potato slices.

2. Make a layer of potato and sweet potato slices in a deep baking dish and pour over some of the cream mixture. Repeat until all of the ingredients are used up.

3. Cover with aluminium foil and bake at 180°C for 35-45 minutes.

4. Remove the foil and continue to bake until golden brown. Allow to rest for at least 10 minutes before serving.

Grab a spoon and a book and park yourself onto the comfiest sofa within reach. Devour.

Ya !! The lazy feeling is same here even if Delhi is not so cold by British standard…but for us too cold !!!
    Your description and photos have filled my tummy already!!!
    I have never made a gratin. Now I will try.
    I normally don't change the recipe of a friend. But with your kind permission may I excuse the Garam nmasala on my maiden attempt and put some ajwain with jeera?
    I am sure you are going great guns with your work.
    Have a nice week ahead

2. Hester says

Oh golly, Sanjana… this looks absolutely scrumptious! I'm all over anything with potatoes in it :-) Thank you for sharing this. I have a whole 10lb bag of potatoes that needs to be used. I'll probably make this dish soon!

3. Green Girl @ A little bit of everything says

your two potatoes gratin looks so good. thanks for sharing
    the laziness is here too when cold outside, like today :((
    have a wonderful day

4. Potato Chops and Boneless Chicken says

One word Sanjana: yummy! The combination of sweet and white/yellow potatoes has become one of my favourites. I can just taste the earthiness of the coriander and garam masala. The house must smell gorgeous as the gratin bakes.

5. Kathleen says

Sanjana, This looks so delicious and I can't wait to make. Thanks so much for posting.

6. Carolyn Jung says

This is the best of both worlds when you can't decide if you want to make sweet potatoes or regular ones. And who can resist such a creamy, tender dish? Yum!

wow, what a great creation. Love it, already bookmarked.

8. The Mom Chef says

That looks like my kind of potato dish! I can smell the flavors of it through the monitor. Thanks so much for sharing.

Wow! That does look like an interesting dish. Would love to try this soon.

A gratin done right can be a wonderful, satisfying treat, but they're often too bland for me. So I love that you spiced things up. The best of both worlds :).

11. The Mom Chef says

Howdy, I'm back. Just letting you know that I've given you an award at my site. I appreciate your incredible recipes which have given me many unique side dishes to serve with my meals. Thanks!

12. Tamanna says

Sanjana, on a day like this : cold and gloomy, this dish looks like sent from heaven. My husband would love this and thank you for such a wonderful recipe! hope you had a good cozy time

13. meeso says

Good girl for using sweet potatoes! I feel they are neglected too often. I will definitely have to try this one :)