Indian Breads, Mughalai cuisine

Peshwari Naan

peshwari-naan

The final recipe required to create the most divine Mughlai banquet is this recipe for Peshwari Naan; a soft and fruity coconut-flavoured bread to mop up a variety of sumptuous sauces.

Naan is one of India’s most famous breads, and probably the most well-known Indian bread in British restaurants. Whether it’s flavoured with chilli, garlic and coriander or sultanas and coconut, you can be sure that a good naan will be soft, slightly chewy, a little charred in places and finally, drenched in butter.

Can I share one of my pet peeves with you? The term ‘naan bread’. Want to know why?

Naan means ‘bread’, so saying ‘naan bread’ is about as useful as saying, ‘bread bread’. My point being that by simply saying ‘naan’, the bread part is implied. You wouldn’t say ‘kuchen cake’ would you?

Sultanas and coconut are very traditional ingredients in Peshwari Naan, which can be stuffed with a sweet filling and cooked in a super hot tandoor (clay oven). Simply stick them to the side of the oven walls and watch them puff and bubble up.

Unfortunately my repertoire is not yet bad ass enough to carry off an entire tandoor (the big boy power tool of the Indian kitchen), so I used a domestic grill. Having said this, my birthday is coming up… and you know what that means.

Nuts are also common ingredients in recipes for Peshwari Naan – I skipped these in fear of being all ‘nutted out’ at my Mughlai banquet. Feel free to add almonds or pistachios if you prefer. I also mixed my sultanas and coconut into the dough as opposed to stuffing them inside the naan in order to really simplify the method.

This recipe for quick and easy Peshwari Naan is my favourite accompaniment to Melt in the Mouth Paneer Kofta, Shahi Paneer Stuffed Okra and Creamy Pistachio and Cauliflower Curry. Hang in there for an entire Mughlai-inspired menu coming up in the next post.

Peshwari Naan
(makes 8-10)

475g bread flour, plus more for rolling
270ml milk
130ml oil
7g instant yeast
50g sultanas
30g coconut powder
30g desiccated coconut, plus more for sprinkling
1 ½ tsp salt
1 tsp rosewater
1 tsp sugar
Butter to serve

1. Heat the milk to 32°C and whisk in the yeast and sugar. Allow to stand for 5 minutes.

2. Mix together all of the other ingredients except the oil. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the oil. Mix in the milk and yeast mixture and bind to a dough. The dough will appear sticky at first but continue kneading for 5-8 minutes, adding another tbsp oil if necessary. When smooth and elastic, place the dough in a large, greased bowl and cover with a damp tea towel. Allow to rise in a warm place for 1 hour.

3. Knock the risen dough back and knead for 2 minutes. Divide into 8-10 pieces.

4. Flour a clean, smooth surface and roll the dough to around ½ cm thickness and pull into a teardrop shape. Sprinkle one side with more coconut and gently roll a rolling pin over to press the coconut into the surface.

5. Place the naan, coconut side down on a piece of foil and grill until golden. Flip and cook the coconut side for a further minute until the coconut is lightly toasted. Butter and serve.

Omit the sultanas, coconut and rose for a recipe for plain naan, or substitute these ingredients to make garlic and coriander naan, chilli naan or cheese naan. They’re simply divine with any Indian curry.

Comments

comments

1. safire says

This looks delicious! Thank you for sharing! My boyfriend is Indian so I LOVE your blog :)

2. FacelessFood says

Sorry, I'm guilty of saying naan bread! I love peshwari naan, but haven't made my own before. I'll give your recipe a go a see how it turns out.
    Where would I find coconut powder?

Hello all! Thanks for the comments, I hope you enjoy making these.

FacelessFood: You can find coconut powder in any South Asian or South East Asian grocery store. If you're having trouble getting hold of it, try using coconut milk powder.

4. Hester Casey - Alchemy says

Ooooo I love Naan and this looks really delicious. Will be making this very soon. Can't wait to try.

Mmmmmmmm……. yummy recipe,nicely explained – always a pleasure to read your inspiring blog.

"Good Job"

6. Priya says

Looks super addictive and yummy, cant wait to try this naans..

7. purabi naha says

You explained all this so well! The Naan is looking really good and the recipe is just perfect!

8. Prathima Rao says

Too bad the mughlai series is comin to an end :( This naan is the icing on the cake!!! Looks irresistible!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

9. Marta´s Kitchen says

I absolutely adore naan! Dipping it in nice curry sauce is a real pleasure! Thank you for sharing!

10. Kim - Liv Life says

I love the coconut in this recipe!!! Definitely on my to try list!! Nicely done on a well deserved Top 9!!

Peshwari naan rocks!!!! =D

Well done, congratulation on dynamite blog.

12. Alpa says

That is some lovely naan. LOL, my pet peeve is the "Chai Tea" they sell at all the coffee houses… Ughhh, that just rides my nerves!

13. Nippon Nin says

This looks wonderful! Our family loves naan. I have other naan recipes but I would like to try this also. This could be a winner! Thanks for sharing.

14. Yogita says

This recipe looks amazing…. Thanks for giving us such a lavish Muglai Banquet…..Was thinking of trying out these Naans, but I don't have an accurate weighing scale at home (as yet)… can you please give us this recipe for naan in terms of measuring cups or spoons, instead of grams. That will make it much easier for people like me to try out such delicious sounding recipes.

Oh my word this is truely a scrummy recipe. I'm going to try this for sure. Thank you.

16. kams says

hi there, tried your peshawari naan recipe. It came out amazing. thanks for the delicious recipe.

17. Pingback: Mango and Courgette Salad with Jaggery-Lime Dressing | K.O Rasoi