Maharashtrian Cooking, Snacks and Munchies, Vegetable Dishes

Butter Pau Bhaji

If you love Pau Bhaji with heaps of creamy butter as much as I do, I hope you’ll love my article for FN UK’s blog in honour of all things street food.

You discover what happened when I cooked up some Pau Bhaji in their test kitchen and my experience eating Pau Bhaji on the street in one of my most favourite Indian food cities, Leicester.

I was sitting on a burning wall devouring £3.50 worth of hot, spicy Pau Bhaji. It was heavily spiced but not with chillies – the intense heat came from a medley of ground cinnamon, cloves, cumin seeds, coriander seeds and fennel seeds. The bread was hot, buttery and perfect for scooping up the delicious bhaji.

Now, I’ve tasted great Pau Bhajis in the past and I’ve also made good Pau Bhajis, but the truth is that I much prefer it when someone else makes the effort to sizzle some up for me.

Any takers?

Read the article here.

Get the recipe here.

FYI, my mouth is already watering thinking about the next post which I will tell you involves potatoes and a simple blend of spices. See you this weekend!

1. Paaka Shaale says

The pau bhaji looks fabulous Sanjana!!! I loved the presentation and the photography. It's awesome

2. Selina. says

i always read your blog and drool over the food but your post today made me especially happy as you mention Leicester which is where i hail from and in about two weeks i will be back home and devouring the best indian food i can get my hands on NOM

I made some last weekend for Rishi, he loves it! Especially with a nice spiced salsa with chillies! Next time i will make sure you can come over!

4. The Mom Chef says

That combination of spices is making my soul sing! I adore cumin, coriander and fennel (the last in small doses). :)

This is such a great recipe, love the color. I love as it is a one pot meal for me by just adding bread :)

I've heard so much about this dish and can't believe I've yet to try it. Looks so good!

7. The Housewife says

Ahhh Sanjana! You had me at 'butter'!!! :) Nothing like street food!

8. bakingdevils says

Very nice indeed! I love Pav-Bhaji… and is brilliant when made for you by someone else…

9. Pola says

I am not sure what Pau Bhaji exactly is quite yet, but it sure looks delicious. I better go check out the recipe!

10. Kathy Gori says

This looks wonderful and I'm going to have to make it. My best friend at school lives in London, married to a Welshman and is now a British subject, when I go visiting you have now given me a guide to locating the best Indian street food over there. Of course I always love anything cooked for me by anyone else. You have me drooling and I want to try Thums Up!