Breakfast, Indian Breads, South Indian Cooking, Vegan

Masala Poori

The world of Indian breads is vast and varied. From rotli to naan, paratha and poori, they can be toasted, baked or fried. Adding herbs and spices is common and I love experiment with different flavours. My favourite kind of poori has got to be infused with turmeric and red chilli and is also known as Masala Poori
Serve with Sukha Aloo (Dry Potato Curry) and creamy yogurt for am amazing breakfast or brunch. Poori is also popularly served with spicy chickpea curry and is eaten with the hands, filling the fried bread with curry and broken from the outside in. Fiddly but delicious.
Traditionally a South Indian bread, they can be made into large discs or little puffy balls. I prefer to make them smaller firstly because they’re cute and secondly, because they rise much more easily which is great if you’re a beginner.

Sooji or semolina is added to give the bread a crisp finish and it is popularly eaten with Shrikhand at auspicious times. Let me tell you, that is probably one of my favourite ways to serve it. Simplicity at its finest.

Masala Poori
400g chapatti flour
75g gram (chickpea) flour
30g coarse semolina
¼ tsp turmeric
¼ tsp red chilli powder
3 tsp salt
2 tbsp oil
Hot water to bind
Oil to deep fry
1. Place both flours in a large basin and add the chilli powder, turmeric, salt. Make a well in the centre and add 2 tbsp oil.
2. Add the hot water little by little, mixing with a spoon. When you are able to do so, bind with your hands. Look for a smooth but firm dough as you will be rolling out the pooris without any additional flour. It’s important for the dough not to be sticky.
3. Heat the oil in a large wok.
4. Divide the dough into small portions, big enough to roll out into 2 ½-3 inch discs around 2mm in thickness.
5. Roll out the pooris out 3 at a time, placing them onto greaseproof paper as you go along.
6. To test if the oil is hot enough, drop a small piece of dough into the oil. It is ready when it floats up immediately.
7. Fry the pooris, pressing on them gently with a slotted metal spoon so they puff up and become golden. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper and repeat for the rest of the pooris.

What’s your favourite Indian bread and what do you like to eat it with? Leave a comment or share them on Twitter or Facebook.

Like KO RasoiFollow @KORasoi

1. purabi naha says

Sanjana, you don't know how much I love masala pooris! Your picture is so lively and droolworthy. I am feeling hungry suddenly…all because of you! Loved the post.

2. AshKuku says

That reminds me it has been ages since I relished pooris…. Would plan it out for tomorrow, right away!!!! Awesomely yummy captures…. :)

Ash… :)

I eat plain Puri regularly, like most Bongs. Never tried this mix. I am going to try it out. I take note of flour and Besan recipe and suggested will put little suji, 3 tbsp should be good I guess.
    Have a nice week

4. Dom at Belleau Kitchen says

these would have gone very well with the chicken coconut curry I made on saturday… they look divine and I love this kind of sweet bread… lovely and thanks for the recipe x

5. Parsley Sage says

Oooh! Your masala looks stunning! Perfectly fluffy and yummy :) Buzzed!

6. The Mistress of Spices says

Can you believe that I've never actually had masala pooris? At least I don't think I have. I've also never had the guts to actually make pooris. But your recipe sounds so easy…I should really try!

7. Cooking Foodie says

Love Masala Puri! I like to have it with some yogurt and morabba / chundo

Mmm yum! I'm not usually a large fan of deep-fried foods but poor are just so light, puffy, and cute-looking and I love the taste!

9. Mina Joshi says

Wow – these look amazing. I haven't had masala puris for ages – I must make them for Sunday brunch!

10. kankana says

masala poori looks so perfectly fried. I like to make daal poori too!

Absolutely love your puffed pooris and platter :)

12. Chili n' spice says

I will for sure try them, they look soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good!

13. Amy says

YUM! What a delicious recipe and a scrumptious blog! I live in Hyderabad and yet I STILL can't seem to get enough Indian food ^_^

14. Anusha says

looks good, one question, what are the speckles in the puri? is it cumin?

15. Pingback: Munch an Indian brunch… in your own home | Culinary Adventures of The Spice Scribe